The current Department of Public Safety is the result of the 1986 merger of the police and fire departments. The Department currently includes the following divisions:
- The Administrative offices which consists of the Director and civilian support staff who are responsible for handling records and administrative duties.
- The Detective Bureau which consists of one sergeant and two detective patrolmen.
- The Directed Patrol Unit is assigned one public safety officer for a plain-clothes specialized patrol assignment.
- The Patrol Division consists of four platoons. Each platoon is led by a lieutenant and sergeant and is staffed by five Public Safety Officers and one civilian dispatcher. There is also one additional officer that works split shifts in the afternoon and evenings.
- The support staff also includes one part-time ordinance officer and seven school crossing guards.
Sworn personnel are cross-trained to provide all police and fire-related services. 20 Public Safety Offices are also certified as emergency medical technicians to staff the two ambulances that transport patients to a Grosse Pointe area hospital.
Several of the officers are also designated as Youth Service Officers and participate in special crime and fire prevention related activities within the local schools. These officers also reward outstanding school safety patrollers with a monthly luncheon and are also actively involved in additional community programs and events.